Minnesota Reading Corps
More than 700 preschool and elementary school sites throughout Minnesota
By joining Minnesota Reading Corps, you’ll not only make a difference in children’s lives, but the training and experience you gain will benefit your own career. This is a chance to give back to your community while building valuable career skills and a professional network.
Essential qualifications to serve with Minnesota Reading Corps:
- Strong interest in education, specifically in helping elementary students develop their literacy skills
- Demonstrated commitment to the community
- Citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States
- 18 years of age or older (no upper age limit!) and high school diploma or GED by the program start date
- Ability to speak, read, and write English fluently
Members like serving in this program because they:
- Build relationships with children and help them improve their skills
- Connect to the community and professionals in the education field
- Gain experience in a school setting that enhances their resume
- Earn money for student loans or future education expenses
- Have a chance to be a part of a successful, research-based program
Reading by Third Grade is the Gateway to Learning
Right now, nearly one in three third-graders in Minnesota is failing to reach basic levels of literacy. If kids aren’t reading proficiently by third grade, the odds are against them for all future learning. Because of this, our nation is facing an epidemic of academic failure.
By using innovative, evidence-based practices and personalized tutoring, Minnesota Reading Corps has demonstrated proven results to help close Minnesota’s growing achievement gap. Nearly 80% of Minnesota Reading Corps participants achieved more than a year’s worth of progress in one year’s time, exceeding state and national averages and dramatically surpassing what is typically expected.
Since 2003, Minnesota Reading Corps has grown from serving 250 children to about 30,000 at more than 800 sites statewide. Studies show that by increasing investments in quality early childhood literacy interventions, the whole community can anticipate a return of up to $12 for every $1 invested.
Minnesota Reading Corps is a strategic initiative of ServeMinnesota.